Cancellation notice: MPTC has cancelled meetings at Moraine Park from March 2020 until October 2020 to prevent community spread of the Novel Coronavirus COVID-19. Our March, April, May and June Meetings were all cancelled. However, our July, August and September meetings were relocated as listed below. Our meetings at MPTC will resume in October.
Writing: During this time of shelter at home, we may have had some more time to write. So our August meeting will be devoted to reading our own writings, rather than a regular meeting.
Editing: BTW, for those who need the help of an editor, Nikki Valle, author and one of our future guest speakers, is offering her freelance proofreading and editing services. Nikki has a keen eye for detail, and her fees are below the industry average. She can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 920-204-5656.
Two FAW meetings: Our writers club holds two different meetings each month. The one described on this page is our regular meeting, which is held on the fourth Tuesday of each month. (Except for our Christmas dinner, which is on the third Tuesday in December.)
Our other meeting is a workshop, which is held on the second Monday of each month. No regular club business is conducted during our workshop sessions. They are only about sharing our own writings for feedback. See our “Fellowship of the Pen Writing Workshop“ page for details on those. Our thanks to Kellan Henning, Glenn Henning and LuAnn Larson for volunteering to moderate those sessions so they can continue.
Our guest speakers for March, Beth Ziarnik, for April, Nicole Valle, and for May, will be rescheduled after the Novel Coronavirus crisis has passed.
Previous: Our July Meeting was our annual Summer Picnic. Our thanks to Al and Mary Chancellor for hosting at their Eldorado home. 9 people attended, so we met the “under 10 people” guideline for the Corona Virus.
Our August Meeting
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
Times: 5:00 pm until 6:00 pm, Social Hour. 6:00 pm: supper. 7:00 pm: meeting. 8:00 pm: break for dessert.
Event: Our regular monthly meeting, but with supper and dessert!
Invited: All FAW members, past and present, and their immediate family.
Alumni: Past members are especially welcome. It’s always great to catch up with old friends.
Non-members: Can pay their $ 2 annual FAW dues at the meeting.
Cost: None, other than dues. Free to all FAW members. No charges or fees.
Location: Betty Boehrig’s lake home.
Address: N8584 Linden Beach, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54937-6124 USA
Bring: A dish for our buffet and a beverage of your choice, if you wish.
Agenda: No club business and no features. Due to the Novel Corona Virus, we haven’t had a regular meeting for a while, so this is a catch-up night to read our own writings.
Our September Meeting
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2020.
Times: 7 pm until 9 pm.
Location: Faros Family Restaurant.
Address: 131 North Pioneer (Frontage) Road, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935 USA.
Agenda: (all times are estimated and approximate)
6:30 pm: Set-up.
7:00 pm: Welcome and introduction.
7:05 pm: Our guest speaker’s talk.
7:35 pm: Q & A: Questions for our guest speaker.
7:40 pm: Brief break, meet-and-greet and book signing by our guest speaker.
7:50 pm: Meeting resumes.
7:55 pm: Unfinished business: _______________________________________________________ .
8:00 pm: New business: Our Writing Workshops are now called the Fellowship of the Pen WW. Our thanks to Kellan Henning, Glenn Henning and LuAnn Larson who volunteered to keep our monthly workshops going.
8:05 pm: Features:
- This month’s birthdays: ___________________ . Any others? _______ .
- Book Report: “The Screenwriters Problem Solver” by Syd Field.
- Club News: Book Challenge by Local Writers Read (hand-out.)
- Events: The Lakefly Conference for May 8 and 9, 2020 is cancelled.
- Humor: The Author’s Personal Guarantee sign. Reader’s Digest jokes: Bible Study, dog sign, Vice President, comedians.
- Information: MPTC: “Coffee and College,” and “Wolf Pack” walkers.
- Insights: https://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/
- Inspiration: Quote from TV’s, “Have Gun, Will Travel,” Cowboy: “Only the good die young.” Paladin: “Or is it: ‘Only the young die good’?”
- Motivation: (Give out the blank books for writing, notes, etc.)
- Vocabulary: Our word of the month is bubbler.
- Writers News: ___________________________________________ .
8:25 pm: Our self introductions: Three short statements:
- Your name.
- What you write, or want to write.
- One other relevant or important fact about you.
8:30 pm: Writers share their writings. Our suggested writing exercise for March is to write a period piece.
8:55 pm: Prompt: Writers choose our suggested writing exercise for April: My suggestion is: Describe your character in one phrase. Make it as unique as possible.
9:00 pm: Adjournment. Social time.
Here are some details on our upcoming events for our FAW club:
- “The Legend of See Bird: The Last Long Drive.” 2012.
- “The Legend of See Bird: Devil’s Backbone,” 2015.
- “Good Night, Sweet Dreams,” 2013.
- “The Seventh Cruise,” 2016.
- “Up Harvey’s Creek,” 2017.
- “Fare Thee Well, Harvey’s Creek,” 2018.
November: Tuesday 11/24/2020. Our guest speaker will be David Michael Williams. David is the author of eight published books: two trilogies and two anthologies.
- Trilogy: The Renegade Chronicles.
- Trilogy: The Soul Sleep Cycle.
- Anthology: SixFold Fantasy.
- Anthology: Ghost Mode.
Nicole’s two books:
Questions, concerns, and/or suggestions: Please contact John Silah. Call # (920) 923-1918 – home, or # (920) 251-9586 – cellular. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information about our club will be posted on our social site on the Internet, which is our Facebook page (search “Fond du Lac Writers.“)